What you need
- 20 oz Guinness
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 2 c. whole milk
- ¾ c. white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 egg yolks
What to do
- Simmer Guinness in a saucepan till it’s reduced by about ¾ its initial volume (roughly 8 mins on med heat)
- In a separate saucepan combine cream, milk, sugar and vanilla. Bring to a gentle boil over med heat and then remove.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the yolks. Whisk in a 1 cup of hot cream mixture into the yolks. Once combined, add the yolk/cream mixture back into the large saucepan stirring as you go.
- Return to heat till reaches 170 and it thickens enough to coat the back of your spoon (about 5 mins).
- Pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap (press it down to the surface so skin doesn’t form) and chill for 2 hours.
- Remove from fridge and add Guinness reduction and mix till well blended. Pour into an ice cream machine or if you’re like most people and don’t have one, follow these directions
- When done, put in an airtight container and freeze till you devour it
(Image via Kegworks)